11th February 2011, in Highlights, News/Blog ( Comments)
The following is a brief guide for anyone considering a new controller, be it custom or commercial.
- In the broadest strokes… how will it be used? As a DJ tool? As a live performance tool? Is it a Studio aid? In many cases, the controller will tell you this with its design. But sometimes you have to be the one to make this decision.
- Is this controller the centerpiece of your music, or a complement? Is it your command station, or does it sit next to your instrument of choice?
- How will you be traveling? Do you wish to gig without checking your bags at the airport? Size matters here.
- What kinds of plugs are on your computer? Do you have enough to accommodate a new piece of gear? Does your existing gear require a certain plug directly on the laptop, instead of a connection from a hub? (Do you want the hassle of an extra USB hub?)
- What environments will you be stepping into? Is your controller going to sit in a studio, or will it need to survive intense temperature and humidity? Would you feel comfortable taking your “baby” to Burning Man? If not, do you have a spare or a suitable workaround?
- What are you willing to concede to get where you want?
- Price, Quality and Features: you can’t have an unlimited quantity of each. Where are you willing to give in?
Additional guides, specific to 60 Works’ services: